Wednesday, June 18, 2008

June 18 - Our third box

Uh oh... I'm starting to feel panicky. There was about twice the amount of vegetables in this week's box than in last week's. My fridge is absolutely exploding with green leafy things... not all of which I'm familiar with.

I had the pleasure today of actually saying hi to Farmer Matt. Farmer Matt, if you're reading this, I'm the one who asked what that round green lumpy vegetable was. (Note to readers - it was a kohlrabi.) It's really kind of thrilling to see the person who was responsible for growing the round green lumpy vegetable. Perhaps it's because I grew up in Queens (not the most rural of places), but I find the whole idea of farming to be very interesting. I'd love to actually see the farm sometime and see how the vegetables look as they grow. They often are much different than you imagine (ever see brussels sprouts, for example?) And I find that I'm curious about many things, like does the kohlrabi grow undergound or above ground? I don't know. (Guess I'll be visiting Wikipedia after making this posting).

In this weeks box was a ton of exciting things, including:
- Kale (uh oh, I still didn't use my kale from last week)
- Romaine lettuce
- Green curly lettuce (this thing is GIANT - it took up a whole drawer in my fridge)
- Garlic scapes (I LOVE these!!! More in a future posting)
- Strawberries - yay!
- Kohlrabi (never saw it, never ate it, and I'm slightly afraid of it)
- Swiss Chard (this is so beautiful, I almost hate to eat it)
- Sugar Snap Peas (I can't figure out if I'm supposed to eat the pod or just the peas. Anyone know?)
- Baby arugula (I love arugula salads)
- Cilantro (I have a wonderful recipe for Cilantro Pesto)

I went home with two completely filled up shopping bags of wonderful (and interesting) produce! We're really enjoying being part of the CSA so far, and I feel as though we're part of something that's more community oriented. When do you usually get to meet the farmer who grew your kohlrabi?

2 comments:

Don Murray said...

CIA? Since when are you part of the CIA? Are you some kind of spy or something? Are you infiltrating anarchist organic farmer organizations?

call me "goat man"

cristina said...

snap peas have edible pods, they're usually a bit thinner than non snap peas, and they're the kind you typically see in a stir fry or on a salad. eat them whole. for those of us who grew up in the rural areas (read: not Queens) they were something you could eat straight off the plant as you were running around. Delicious.

- Cristina Bain