Wednesday, June 25, 2008

June 25 - Box #4

Today, three people accompanied me to the CSA pick up place to see how it all works. My friend Marla, her friend Nancy, and my daughter Emily. They watched how I sign my name on the sheet, take the contents out of a box and put it into my cloth bags and then fold the box up in the corner to be used again. It was really fun to watch everyone's faces as I kept pulling unusual green things out of the box - "Look! A Swiss Chard! A cabbage! Some weird green things that look like fans!" (These turned out to be Collard greens). Things just kept coming out of that box like clowns out of a circus car. When I was done, I had:
  • Cabbage
  • Red Oak Leaf Lettuce
  • Beets
  • Strawberries! (best I ever tasted!)
  • Escarole (I mistook this for some sort of lettuce)
  • Collard greens (I didn't know WHAT these were when I saw them)
  • Fennel
  • Basil
  • Swiss Chard

When we were done packing up our vegetables, Marla looked at the haul and then said in her own unique Marla-style - "Wow, you guys must have no trouble pooping." No comment.

We already ate half the strawberries - they are unbelievably good. And I had a salad of the red oak leaf lettuce tonight for dinner. I'd never had it before -- it's probably the most attractive lettuce I've ever seen. It really does look like red oak leaves. And it was easier to wash than some of the other greens have been.

No comments: