Wednesday, July 2, 2008

July 2 - Guess the Vegetable

Because I'm on vacation in Vermont and New Hampshire, my good friend Marla kindly picked up my vegetables and brought them to my house and left them for my husband. This resulted in Mark and I getting to play a wonderful game on the phone tonight that I call "guess the vegetable." It went something like this...

Ann: "What did we get today?"
Mark: "Well, there are some whitish things in a bunch."
Ann: "What sort of whitish things?"
Mark: "I think they might grow underground."
Ann: "Do they look like anything you've ever seen before?"
Mark: "Maybe they're some kind of onion? They're about an inch across and and inch and a half tall."
Ann: "Do they have layers like an onion?"
Mark: "No."
Ann: "What does the top look like?"
Mark: "There are some kind of leaves sprouting out of the top."

Etc, etc, etc. In case you were wondering, I guess white radishes or turnips. Turns out they were baby salad turnips. We went through many iterations of this same conversation as we tried to figure out what the other veggies were. To his credit, Mark was able to identify carrots, dill and lettuce without any help from me.

This was actually a very entertaining game and I hope we get to play it again. For those of you who are interested, we also got zucchini (a lot), yellow squash, beets, and possibly kohlrabi in addition to the things mentioned above.

No comments: