Thursday, July 10, 2008

Beets

WOW. Who knew that beets were so good? Not me. I confess that until now the only beets I'd ever had were either pickled or from a can. Even the one time that I made a beet side dish, I started with canned beets. Little did I know what I was missing.

Mark and I had a real beet experience last week. First I steamed the greens and we ate them with a bit of butter on top. Yum! Then I boiled the beets, peeled them, cut them into cubes, and spinkled them with lemon dijon vinagrette dressing while they were warm. They were unbelievably good. We ate the whole bunch of beets in just about one sitting. (I even saved the water that I'd boiled the beets in, and we drank that. It looks like Kool Aid, but it makes you feel like you're detoxifying yourself from all the junk you've eaten over the last month.)

No comments: